Fort Hill American Legion Auxiliary Unit #376
The American Legion Auxiliary is the world's largest women's patriotic service organization. They are proud to be helping for over ninety years of Service Not Self, for Veterans, God and Country.
What's happening soon-- (please visit our calendar page too)
- [Important message: The next CC ALA meeting will be on Monday, April 7, 2014, 6:30 PM, at our Oxford American Legion Post #376, at 17 S. Washington Avenue, Oxford, NY. Cindy H, our 1st Vice (and cook), will be making hot pulled pork sandwiches, apple sauce, and for dessert, Julie B is making red velvet cake. The ALA meeting will begin at 7 p.m.
- Friday, April 11th, 5-7 PM, we are having a "Goodbye Winter Chicken Dinner." Take-outs will be from 4-5. This is a chicken and biscuits with chicken gravy dinner and our big surprise for dessert-- an Ice Cream Sundae Bar!!! That should be a lot of fun.
- April 12th, 10:30 AM, Carol Johnson, 6th D. Field Service Rep., has organized an Easter Bonnet contest. Residents will make a hat and we will furnish prizes. Should be lots of fun for all!
- Monday, April 14th, 7 PM - our ALA Unit meeting. We really need to talk about the Great Garage Sale, the Memorial Day Parade, and more.
- Sunday, May 4th, 7:30 - 11 AM, Don Utter Fundraising Breakfast & Bake Sale. There will also be a basket raffle and a 50-50. Don, husband of 26 year ALA member, Brenda Utter, has leukemia and they need our help for expensive chemo treatments. Legionnaire Darlene Ardron (Brenda's cousin), is selling raffle tickets for a Mother's Day basket of lovely embroidered items that Brenda made. There will be orange awareness ribbons available made by ALA Jr Lacey Hathaway.Please mark your calendar, come to the Legion and... be generous!
If you can put up a flyer in your store/area please print it from here.
Donations can be made at the Legion as well as at the NBT bank. If you would like to mail a donation, make the check payable to: American Legion Post 376, and mail it to: Fort Hill American Legion Post 376,
P.O. Box 217,
Oxford, NY 13830. Thank you.
- Saturday, May 10th, 8 AM - 2 PM, is our Great Garage Sale!!! This is our big annual fundraising event. We need donations of your unwanted (but in decent shape) bric-a-brac, household goods, etc. (just no clothing). We will have a bake sale there too.
Booth space rent is $15. You could have your own to sell antiques, crafts, craft supplies, collectibles, plants, etc.
- Sunday, May 11th, 7:30 - 11 AM, Mother's Day Breakfast Bake Sale
- May 24th, 10:30 AM - Carol Johnson, 6th D. Field Service Rep., has organized a Flower Day at the Home. This is another day the residents really enjoy so much!
- For those of you who know our dear Unit Secretary, and past president, Barb Bogie, she is fighting cancer and is now in the NYS Veterans' Home (where she has volunteered in the physical therapy dept. for the past 9 years). Barb has been a member of ALA Unit 376 for over 61 years and was recently recognized with a special citation for her many years of service by both NYS Assemblyman Clifford Crouch and NYS Legion Auxiliary president Barbara Corker. She has received well over 100 get-well cards and really appreciates them! Please keep visiting her at the Home and sending cards. Visit our Officers page for a link to a special page for Barb.
- Mary Genung has recently joined Barb over at the NYS Veterans' Home. Mary has been a member of our Unit 376 for 52 years! She's been managing the Vets' Home gift shop for several years too. I'm sure she'll receive lots of good care there.
- Lisa Lounsbury, 52, a member of our Unit 376 for 8 years, is fighting brain cancer (malignant glioblastoma). The American Legion in Oxford had a very successful breakfast fundraiser for Lisa, but please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, and keep wearing your gray support/awareness ribbons for her.
- We had our first loss in 2014 already: Patricia Ballin, 83, ALA Unit 376 member for 32 years, passed away on January 7. RIP Patty.
For more events, visit the Calendar page.
What We Do
TELEVISION COVERAGE: Monday, May 27th, 2013, was the Legion's Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony. (Read more on the fundraising page under Events.) It was filmed by Channel 12 Action news. It's modest, but be sure to see it here! They have a few photos too.
The ALA focuses on three major areas: Veterans, Young People, Americanism and the community. On the local level, the Oxford ALA has over 200 members, giving many volunteer hours to help the initiatives and programs of the Oxford Legion and the Oxford community.
Oxford Auxiliary members have achieved their own unique identity while working side-by-side with the Legionnaires and the Sons of the American Legion (SAL's), of Fort Hill Post #376. They have the honor of marching in the Memorial Day parade but they do a lot more!
The ALA is involved in youth activities such as the Oratorical Contest and Girls' State. They volunteer at the NYS Veterans' Home, nursing homes, food and clothing banks, and they organize fundraisers like the
(mostly) annual Great Garage Sale Day and Bake Sale, Memorial Poppy sales, the John Sherman Scholarship, and others. They're involved in other community projects such as promoting child literacy*; education; charities; and more. It is all accomplished with volunteers!
*Each fall Unit 376 sponsors a Harvest Dinner to raise money for the Sally Finch Memorial Book Fund which donates books to the Oxford Academy Primary School.
The second Saturday in May is the Great Garage Sale Day & Bake Sale, from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. This fundraiser rents spaces in the Fort Hill Legion parking lot for people interested in selling all sorts of things like garage/attic items, antiques, or crafts while the ALA Unit sells food like hot dogs and donuts and delicious baked goods -just in time for Mother's Day- as well as their own 'garage sale' items. School groups, educational orgs, or promotional booths are welcome to participate. Vist the Fundraisers page for a link to an application.