Fort Hill American Legion Auxiliary Unit #376
The American Legion Auxiliary is the world's largest women's patriotic service organization. They are proud to be helping for over ninety years of Service Not Self, for Veterans, God and Country.
What's happening soon--
- [Important message: The next CC ALA meeting will be on Tuesday, March 11, 2014, at 6:30 PM, at the Sherburne American Legion Post #876, at 15 S. Main Street, Sherburne, NY. This is not on the usual day or date- because it's the national American Legion Birthday meeting held on the Chenango County Legion's meeting day so we can all meet together. (The actual "birthday" is March 15,1919, it's the 95th). The post will have soup, sandwiches, and birthday cake!
- February 13th, 10:30 a.m., Carol Johnson, 6th D. Field Service Rep., organized the 6th District Female Veterans Valentine’s Day Party for all female veterans residing at the NYS Veterans' Home - sponsored by the Past Presidents of the ALA, NY. Come show our appreciation for all they have done for the USA!
- February 14th, 10:30 a.m., Carol Johnson, 6th D. Field Service Rep., organized a Valentine’s Day, "Flower Day." (Be at the NYS Veterans' Home by 10 a.m.)
If you have not been to this before, plan to this year. All Home residents enjoy this event and appreciate it so much. WE provide the flowers and makings of a great bouquet in a vase and they take it to their rooms or give the floral arrangement as a gift to another resident. It is as fun to do for us as it is for them.
- February 14th, 8-11 p.m. - a great Valentine's Day Dance at our Post #376. Drinks, Hors d'Oeuvres, Desserts/sweets, and dancing to DJ Dennis and the 5 Minute Idols. See or print the (PDF) poster here. Read the article here as it appeared in The Evening Sun, 1-27-14.
- For those of you who know our dear Unit Secretary, and past president, Barb Bogie, she is fighting cancer and is now in the NYS Veterans' Home (where she has volunteered in the physical therapy dept. for 9 years). Barb has been a member of ALA Unit 376 for over 61 years and was just recognized with a special citation for her many years of service by both NYS Assemblyman Clifford Crouch and NYS Legion Auxiliary president Barbara Corker. She has received well over 100 get-well cards and really appreciates them! Please keep visiting her at the Home and sending cards. Visit our Officers page for a link to a special page for Barb.
- Mary Genung has recently joined Barb over at the NYS Veterans' Home. Mary has been a member of our Unit 376 for 52 years! She's been managing the Vets' Home gift shop for several years too. I'm sure she'll receive lots of good care there.
- Lisa Lounsbury, 52, a member of our Unit 376 for 8 years, is fighting brain cancer (malignant glioblastoma). The American Legion in Oxford is having a fundraising Community Breakfast for Lisa Lounsbury and her family on Sunday, Feb. 16, from 7:30-11 a.m. There will be gray support/awareness ribbons, donation cans, and a 50-50 raffle. The ALA will have a bake sale too. Please mark your calendar, come to the Legion and... be generous! If you would like to make a donation, make the check payable to: American Legion Post 376, and mail it to: Fort Hill American Legion Post 376,
P.O. Box 217,
Oxford, NY 13830. Thank you.
If you can put up a flyer in your store/area please print it from here.
- We had our first loss in 2014 already: Patricia Ballin, 83, ALA Unit 376 member for 32 years, passed away on January 7. RIP Patty.
For more events, visit the Calendar page.
What We Do
TELEVISION COVERAGE: Monday, May 27th, was the Legion's Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony. (Read more on the fundraising page under Events.) It was filmed by Channel 12 Action news. It's modest, but be sure to see it here! They have a few photos too.
The ALA focuses on three major areas: Veterans, Young People, Americanism and the community. On the local level, the Oxford ALA has over 200 members, giving many volunteer hours to help the initiatives and programs of the Oxford Legion and the Oxford community.
Oxford Auxiliary members have achieved their own unique identity while working side-by-side with the Legionnaires and the Sons of the American Legion (SAL's), of Fort Hill Post #376. They have the honor of marching in the Memorial Day parade but they do a lot more!
The ALA is involved in youth activities such as the Oratorical Contest and Girls' State. They volunteer at the NYS Veterans' Home, nursing homes, food and clothing banks, and they organize fundraisers like the
(mostly) annual Great Garage Sale Day and Bake Sale, Memorial Poppy sales, the John Sherman Scholarship, and others. They're involved in other community projects such as promoting child literacy*; education; charities; and more. It is all accomplished with volunteers!
*Each fall Unit 376 sponsors a Harvest Dinner to raise money for the Sally Finch Memorial Book Fund which donates books to the Oxford Academy Primary School.
The second Saturday in May is the Great Garage Sale Day & Bake Sale. This fundraiser rents spaces in the Fort Hill Legion parking lot for people interested in selling all sorts of things like garage/attic items, antiques, or crafts while the ALA Unit sells food like hot dogs and donuts and delicious baked goods -just in time for Mother's Day- as well as their own 'garage sale' items. School groups, educational orgs, or promotional booths are welcome to participate. Vist the Fundraisers page for a link to an application.